Getting Support

Accommodations for Students

Dana Jansma, Senior Associate Dean of Students and First-Year Class Dean

Welcome students! My name is Dana Jansma and one of my roles is working with students who need accommodations due to a disability. My style is to collaborate with students on an individual basis to find accommodations to meet their specific needs. There is no “one-size fits all” in accommodations, and I truly enjoy helping students get the necessary support to find success at Kalamazoo College!


Please direct questions to Dana, Senior Associate Dean of Students, Student Development Office, 269.337.7209,

Accommodation Process at a Glance

Please visit the Resources for Students with Disabilities website for full details on student requests for accommodations.

  1. The student completes the online Student Request for Disability Accommodation form.
  2. Provide documentation and any recommendations about necessary accommodations that are included.
  3. The Senior Associate Dean of Students will review the accommodations form and documentation, and will then reach out to the student to schedule an appointment to meet to discuss their needs in more detail.
  4. The Senior Associate Dean of Students will communicate in writing to the student the approved accommodations.
  5. Each quarter, the Senior Associate Dean of Students will email a letter about the disability and accommodations to the faculty of courses in which the student is registered (copied to the student and their academic advisor) unless the student requests that this step not be taken.
  6. To modify an accommodation, students should contact the Senior Associate Dean of Students.

Important Notes

  • The request for accommodation needs to be initiated by the student. Parents cannot initiate or complete the accommodations process on behalf of a student.
  • For documentation, additional or alternate documentation may be requested as needed. For example, IEP and 504 Plans from high school are not considered as documentation for college accommodations. However, they may be included as supplemental documentation.
  • One should not assume that specific accommodations offered in high school would necessarily be offered by the College.
  • Each quarter, students may opt out of faculty of courses in which the student is registered receiving notification of the student’s disability and accommodations.
  • Kalamazoo College has the right to deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services if the documentation demonstrates that the request is not warranted, or if the individual fails to provide appropriate documentation.

Related Student Resources

Accommodations for Employees

Renee Boelcke, Associate Vice President for Human Resources

Hi, my name is Renee. I am honored to partner with employees at all stages of their career journey, whether this is your first job or your most recent job. Here at K, I collaborate with colleagues with disabilities on an individualized basis to create reasonable accommodations that support and promote success. I also strive to smooth the accessibility path through a lens of equity and community.


All employees of the College may direct questions to Renee, Associate Vice President for Human Resources, 269.337.7248,

Accommodation Process

  1. Employee requests accommodation.
  2. Complete the online Employee Request for Accommodation form. Please complete the form to the best of your ability. It will be sent to the Human Resources Department upon submission. This form is to initiate the process of investigating and evaluating your request for accommodation. The form will not be shared with your supervisor without your prior consent. Requests may also be made by contacting the Office of Human Resources at, first floor of Mandelle Hall, or by calling 269.337.7228.
    • Note: The Office of Human Resources is located on the first floor of Mandelle Hall and may be physically inaccessible to chair users or people with other mobility-related challenges. Please notify Human Resources if you would like to meet virtually or in an alternate location.
  3. Together in consultation with Human Resources, the employee obtains medical documentation of their need for an accommodation.
  4. Human Resources consults with the employee’s supervisor/Provost’s Office to determine essential job functions and whether the request is to eliminate an essential job function. The nature of the situation (essential job functions, accommodation request, length of time, and other factors) will influence the outcome.
  5. The employees, supervisor, and Human Resources will meet to discuss the proposed accommodation, alternative accommodations, and next steps.
  6. Human Resources will provide the accommodation decision. Human Resources may continue to evaluate and monitor the need for accommodation. Human Resources may continue to evaluate and monitor the need for accommodation, if warranted.

Related Employee Resources

Additional Support

We understand that seeking accommodation is a time-consuming, challenging, and possibly taxing process. To seek support please utilize the following campus resources.


Kalamazoo College Student Health Center

The Student Health Center welcomes and provides free or low cost confidential healthcare for all students who are a part of our campus community.

Kalamazoo College Counseling Center

The Kalamazoo College Counseling Center offers a wide range of no-cost services including individual and group counseling, telehealth counseling, crisis support, as well as outreach programming.


Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The EAP is designed to help you lead a happier and more productive life at home and at work. Get confidential access to a Licensed Professional Counselor who can help you.

A Licensed Professional Counselor can help you with:

  • Stress, depression, anxiety
  • Relationship issues, divorce
  • Job stress, work conflicts
  • Family and parenting problems
  • And more